Thursday, August 20, 2009

Pursuing God

It's just been floating around in my mind for days that the only pursuit in life that makes sense is the pursuit of God. I've known it all along but I get sidetracked with life and the first thing I know I'm off chasing rabbits somewhere around the path to God but not ON the path to God. Life does that. We go off on searches for meaning, for purpose, for healing, for renewal, for ourselves... We have so many questions that must be answered (right now, thank you very much) and even if we're humbly asking God to help us find the answers what he really wants to help us find is himself.

I think it's interesting that one of our "inalienable rights" as Americans is the "pursuit of happiness." What a futile pursuit! Happiness is as illusive and changeable as the wind. What made me happy yesterday is not what makes me happy today and what makes me happy today will more than likely not make me happy tomorrow. How can I keep up with the pursuit of happiness? It's exhausting to think about it.

Fortunately I have a God who is patient with me and available to me and he knows that the pursuit of happiness will not make me happy. Only pursuing God and finding him will make me happy. And even then "happy" doesn't always work out. My God is more interested in my holiness than in my happiness.

So here is the question I'm asking, "If the only enduring relationship I have is with God (the creator and sustainer of the universe) is that enough? And if the only gift he ever gives me is his one and only, dearly loved, brutally murdered for my sake son, is that gift enough?"

What on earth are we thinking? How could that not be enough?

Then you will call upon me and come and pray to me, and I will listen to you. You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart. I will be found by you," declares the LORD, "and will bring you back from captivity. I will gather you from all the nations and places where I have banished you," declares the LORD, "and will bring you back to the place from which I carried you into exile." Jeremiah 29:12-14

It's not about finding myself. It's about finding him. It's just about him. Period.

No comments: